This weekend I have three lovely days off work so I’ve been catching up with a couple of projects that needed finishing. I’ve been close to finishing my quilt for a week or so but sewing the binding with my mini sewing machine was proving tough. It’s for ‘light’ fabrics only so it didn’t like battling through one layer of binding, one of cotton, the wadding and a layer of flannel all in one go. I also took up a pair of jeans on Friday night and two layers of denim was almost impossible. So I bit the bullet and bought a new sewing machine yesterday. I’ve only upgraded from the red John Lewis Mini to the blue John Lewis full size model, but it’s a lot better. The mini was a great starter machine, but it was definitely time to upgrade.
So with my shiny new sewing machine, I whizzed through the remaining binding (before hand sewing it on the other side to hide the machine stitching from the first side). I’m really happy with it – one of the most satisfying projects I’ve done. It’s taken a while but it was nice dipping in and out of it a bit at a time. I will almost miss working on it – but I’ll love curling up under it. Here it is modelled by my other half…
…and by me:
When the quilt was done, I started making some cushion covers (purely as an excuse to use my sewing machine some more:
Today I also finished off this previously armless bunny: